This is an international, research and policy project that looked at the potential of restorative justice with “street group violence” such as riots. Through qualitative research analysis, policy development and campaigning, the project explored alternative ways that can genuinely engage group offenders in helping to address the harm caused to group victims. The project led to the publication of IARS 2012 book “Waves of Healing: Using Restorative Justice with Street Group Violence”.
There is a growing body of literature on the failings of imprisonment as a response to crime (e.g., Duff 1992; Bitel and Edgar 1998; Hagel 2005; Knuutila 2010). Local restorative justice practitioners, policy makers, business leaders, police, justice officials, municipal and provincial politicians and individuals impacted by the riots are now actively discussing implementing restorative justice in response to the June 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup and August 2011 England riots, and more broadly throughout the justice system. Victims, communities and the public seek holistic solutions and alternatives.
To find out more about restorative justice, click through below to watch a lecture by Dr Theo Gavrielides, or download the presentation here
Through an international partnership, this multi-year programme aims to:
- Create an evidence base through original research and case studies;
- Increase public awareness of restorative justice and encourage a public debate about its potential for resolving riot cases such as those that occured in England and Vancouver;
- Publish its findings through peer review journals, academic books and articles so as to enrich an under-developed research area;
- Influence national and international policy;
- Inform and influence practices and encourage institutions to consider alternative options, such as restorative justice, in the long lasting resolution of riot cases.
As part of the project, IARS is pleased to announce the publication of the ground breaking book Gavrielides, T. (2012). Waves of Healing: Using Restorative Justice with Street Group Violence, London: IARS. ISBN 978-1-907641-10-7 This book forms part of this project.