THE IARS INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE
Communications and Marketing Trustee
The IARS International Institute is one of the world’s leading user-led NGOs with an international mission to give everyone a chance to forge a safer, fairer and more inclusive society. We achieve our charitable aims by producing evidence-based solutions to current social problems, sharing best practice and by supporting young people and the community to shape decision making. We are recognised as a leader in creating new knowledge and forming public and expert opinion.
- By empowering marginalised individuals of our society through accredited training, educational programmes, mentoring and one-to-one support
- By acting as an international network of NGOs bringing together people and ideas to share best practice and engage in debates on current social problems
- By carrying out action research and evaluation that is independent, credible, peer-reviewed, user-led, focused and current
- By supporting individuals and grass roots organisations to carry out their own initiatives to shape decision-making and society, and by helping them to maximise their social impact
- By being an authoritative, independent and evidence-based voice on current social policy matters.
Led by its Director, Dr. Claire Bonham and staffed with a dedicated team of experts, interns and volunteers, the IARS International Institute is known for its user-led robust, independent, evidence-based approach to solving current social problems. We are acknowledged internationally for our expertise in justice, equality and youth. We have delivered projects in areas such as restorative justice, rehabilitation, human rights and inclusion, citizenship, public services and user-led research evaluation.
What difference will you make?
Your involvement will help us in achieving a fairer society, where young people and beyond; by helping us broaden awareness of our values and priorities and increasing our visibility across a wider audience. Your marketing experience will strengthen and compliment the skills of the current Board.
Benefits of being a trustee
You will be joining an active Board and your marketing expertise will significantly help the organisation to reach their goals. You will play a pivotal role in shaping the strategic direction and future development of this successful charity who aim to make a real difference to the experience of young people and those who are marginalised.
Trustee Role Description
- Specific Marketing and Communication tasks
- Develop market position and brand of the charity to a variety of audiences in order to enable it to fulfil its mission and aims
- Contribute to a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the organisation to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers
- Work with the trustees and staff to recognise external communications opportunities and solutions, and support staff to define and execute appropriate strategies
- Oversee the ongoing development of the organisation’s marketing and communications strategy in conjunction with management and the board.
- General Trustee duties
- Assist in ensuring that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document and legally operates
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the good name and values of the organisation
- Represent the organisation at functions and meetings as appropriate
- Declare any conflict of interest whilst carrying out the duties of a trustee
- Take collectively responsible for the actions of the organisation and other trustees
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
- Abide by all relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- Protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds
- Ensure the organisation is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities
- Assist in the appointment and support Senior Managers and monitor their performance.
- Provide feedback on board papers, lead discussions, focus on key issues, provide advice and guidance on new initiatives
- Attend meetings and to read papers in advance of meetings
- Attend sub-committee meetings as appropriate
- Participate in other task as rise from time to time, such as interviewing new staff, helping with fundraising
- Marketing experience at a strategic level
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to duties as a trustee
- Integrity and a commitment to the organisation and its objectives
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak your mind
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Application of marketing strategy to charitable/not for profit organisations
- Experience of the strategic use of social media as effective communication mechanisms to support services and activities
- Experience of working within the charity, voluntary and public sector
If you are interested in joining the Board please send your CV, covering letter and IARS-diversity-monitoring-form-2020 to Dr Claire Bonham: email@example.com by Tuesday 30th June.